USB’s have been kicking my arse for over a year now … started April & May of last year, when I increased & updated my stock of USB’s. All were 3.0 and 32-64 GB’s with one @ 128 GB’s, for a total of 8…had also added 3 ADATA 16 GB 3.0 drives a little earlier, for a ‘total-total’ of 11 new ones last year. ADATA, DataTraveler & the one PNY @ 128 GB’s are all basically useless for installing a full Linux Distro onto…7 are headed to the trash, after a brief stay in a remote box that acts as a ‘USB Purgatory’. Am keeping the 3 DataTravelers (2@32 & 1@64) for possible ‘Live’ USB duty & temp data usage, and 1 ADATA 16 GB for ‘Live’ USB duty. The old SanDisk 3.0 Flair (8-11 years?) finally gave out during tests of Mint & Manjaro last night…have 1 left that holds WIN10 USB installer on it (gets updated w/ each new version). Also, have 4 SanDisk 16 GB Cruzer Blades 2.0’s that are older than the 3.0 Flair. Ordered 3 new SanDisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 Flash Drive – 16GB from the Western Digital Store, and 3 SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive – 32GB from them 3 days ago. Apparently Western Digital bought SanDisk about 4 years ago, but have just recently brought the SanDisk site ‘n store into the Western Digital site ‘n store. Free shipping and prices were about the same as Amazon/NewEgg or better. Hopefully they’ll work as well, and last at least half as long as my old SanDisks have…BTW, SanDisk USB’s are the secret USB’s mentioned in my ‘Shotgun Postings’ post the other day. Brands ‘n age weren’t the only testing problems I’ve had lately – here’s another one that showed up this morning during tests:

That’s a 5.25 Inch USB 3.0 Front Panel 2 Port Motherboard 19 Pin to USB 3.0 that I had installed in ‘Antec Sr.’ and which seemed to giving me problems in the past & this morning; however, I was already thinking about moving that Front Panel into ‘Apevia’ (the Ryzen™ PC) so pulling it out to see what the problem was made sense, and if OK could be installed into my main testing computer. Turns out, that Front Panel needs the 16 GB ADATA USB drives in port 1 for it to work…weird, but nothing wrong with that once you find out how it works. I use the 16 GB ADATA a lot for ‘Live’ testing and it acts weird at times…the other ADATA drives (32 & 64) worked in both ports, but they seem to have problems when being Ext4 formatted, i.e. GParted has problems formatting them to Ext4 – either extremely slow are give error message. Same thing with the DataTraveler!?! So, ADATA and DataTraveler are useless to me for anything other than data, basically. Thusly, 6 new SanDisk USB’s are on their way to humble me whilst ‘USB Purgatory’ hold the ‘sinners’ temporarily…so to speak.

I’m no USB expert, so maybe some of the problems are caused by me; tho, SanDisks never give me problems other than wearing out from age. I can use them for data, for ‘Live’ USB testing, GParted easily ‘n quickly formats and reformats them ever how I want, Linux Distros (at least some) can be fully installed to them, and etc. Took me a year to figure this out…!?!?! Not only did humble me figure all this out, I also found a great preinstalled Benchmark tool for USB’s & other volumes in Ubuntu’s Disks app. Don’t know if its new or not, but I never noticed it until this morning, i.e. I use GParted for all my resizing and formatting, so probably just missed it. Yes, looks like it has been around for a long time. Anyway, it told me the speed and how steady that speed was…the old 2.0 SanDisk 16 GB’s were 2.0 slow, but the graph line was steady. DataTraveler 3.0’s bounced from roughly 76MB/s to 110MB/s and that was “steady” compared to the 32/64 GB 3.0 ADATA’s! I believe the Benchmark tool is accurate, since it reflected my experiences with this batch of USB’s. Here are some pics:

Click on setting icon:

Click Benchmark Partition:

Then click Start Benchmarking

Then close (those were two different graphs from 2 DataTraveler USB’s):

OK … this will be the ‘Foundation’ post for the new ‘Linux ‘n USB Flash Drives’ Page, which is under construction now. I will eventually move older USB type of posts there once I figure out which ones. ‘Kodachi Linux’ is such a popular Page and subject here that it will keep its older posts & still get future posts on Kodachi USB testing.

Will be doing more tests when the new SanDisk USB’s arrive, and probably some retests of Mint and Manjaro since that old USB was about to stop working at that time; however they weren’t too bad, with Manjaro taking 13 min ‘n 35 secs on the automatic Erase Disk install and took 15 min ‘n 30 secs on the manual (same as “Something Else”) install (‘Archie’ installers are simplistic and inferior, so manual can be difficult). Before the USB went out, Mint had taken 18 min on the automatic Erase & Install; then took 14 min 40 secs on the manual Something Else install.

Rule of Thumb – if you can’t install Ubuntu on it, then you can’t install any Linux Distro on it.